Share | 

Nine Steps to Optimize Google Adwords

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bharath_ddd7

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Nine Steps to Optimize Google Adwords   Sun 13 Apr - 17:13

Last month I was able to attend the Search Engine Strategies Conference and Expo in New York. While there, I picked up a few new ideas that I am currently implementing and should be able to share with you in the near future. One of the hot topics at the Expo was tracking and improving CPC advertising results. It?s no wonder why; online advertising spending was up over 30% in 2005 and 33% in 2006. It?s predicted that online advertising spending will see double digit annual increases through 2010.

In May?s article I gave a brief introduction on setting up online CPC campaigns on the major search engines. This month I will give details on how I optimize the effectiveness of ads and landing pages using Google Adwords. I am going assume that you have Keyword tracking in place, and a way to retrieve and analyze conversion data. If you do not have these in place revisit May?s article prior to following these optimization techniques.

For this discussion I am going to a use an underperforming, preexisting ad group titled ?New Chevy Cobalt?. Within the ad group are related keywords such as Chevy Cobalt, Chevy Cobalt SS, 2007 Chevy Cobalt, New Chevy Cobalt.

1. Set-up a New Campaign
The first step is to set-up a new campaign, call it anything you like. During the set up disable automatic Ad Serving Optimization. This feature shows ads with higher Click Through Rates (CTR) more often. CTR is Google?s success metric, not ours, so during the optimization process it is more beneficial to rotate ads evenly regardless of their CTR. Next, enable Position Preferences, this feature allows you to request a specific position or range of positions for your ad on the search engine results page. Finally, disable Content Network, you should first test ads within the search network. To summarize

1) Disable automatic ad serving optimization
2) Enable position preferences
3) Disable content network

2. Gather Possible Landing Pages.
The possible landing pages for the New Chevy Cobalt ad group could include:

1) The website Homepage 2) The New Inventory page 3) The New Chevy Cars / Body style page 4) The New Chevy Cobalt Inventory results page 5) A Chevy Cobalt quote request page. After you have determined the possible landing pages print each one of them.
3. Write Relevant Ads
Study each of the landing pages. Write at least two relevant ads for each landing page. Each ad can have a twenty five character title and a seventy character description. When writing the ads follow the guidelines mentioned in May?s article.

4. Create New Ad Groups
Within the new campaign you?ve just made create an ad group for each of the ads you?ve written; if you have five landing pages and wrote two ads for each you will have to create ten ad groups. When setting these up I include an abbreviated description of the landing page in the ad group title, for example, I may title an ad group Home Page 1, Quote Page 2, etc.

5. Import Keywords from the Preexisting Ad Group.
Prior to copying your keywords from the preexisting ad group make sure your ad group and/or keyword bids are high enough to generate traffic. You should see most of your ads in position one through five on the search engine results page. There are a couple of ways to copy keywords from one ad group to the next. The easiest way that I?ve found within the Adwords interface is to click edit keywords from within the ad group and copy the keywords from the web page text box to Notepad. After you have copied the keywords to Notepad, pause the preexisting ad group. Follow the same steps to import keywords into your new ad groups, click edit keywords and paste the keywords into the text box.

6. Wait and See
How long you wait depends on the size of your check book, your tolerance for pain, the click volume of the ad group, and the metric you use to determine success. For example, if you define a car sale as the success metric you would have to wait longer to compile data than you would if you defined a lead as the success metric. The longer you let the ads run, the more certain you will be that you have the best ad / landing page combination for your ad group. If you have to change bids during the test make sure you make uniform changes across all the ad groups. After your test is complete delete all but the top ad group in the campaign.

7. Create More Ad Groups
After you have a winning ad / landing page combination it time to optimize the position of your ads on the search engine results page. In my experience the more broad a term the lower the optimal position; for example, the eighth position may be the best spot for the broad keyword Chevy whereas the first position may be the best spot for the highly targeted keyword New Chevy Cobalt in Detroit.

To find the optimal position for each keyword you have to once again set-up new ad groups. Name the groups according to the positions they are going to target, for example Position 1-2, Position 3-4, Position 5-6 and so on. Use the winning ad / landing page combination from step six for each of the new groups.

Although it adds another level of complication, some have suggested that position optimizing should be combined with day part optimization. I?ve never tried this but it makes sense that at different times of the day or different days of the week your optimal position could vary. If you decide to do this you must create a campaign to run during each day part you want to test, and then place all of the position ad groups mentioned above into each of the day parting campaigns.

8. Import Keywords Again
Next, copy the keywords from the top test ad group to each of the new position ad groups and delete the top test ad group. This step is similar to step five with the following exceptions.

1) Prior to copying the keywords make sure all your keywords are using the default bid for the ad group.
2) Prior to pasting the keywords into the new ad groups append the position preference to the end of the keyword string, for example, the keyword Chevy
Cobalt in the Position 1-2 ad group would look like: chevy cobalt ** #1-2, whereas the same keyword in the Position 3-4 ad group would look like: chevy cobalt ** #3-4.

9. Once Again, Wait and See
It?s time, once again, to wait and see what happens. During this phase it may be necessary to increase each ad group bid to achieve the desired position range on the search engine results page. Over time you will be able to determine the best possible position for each of the keywords within your group. Once you have accomplished this, return to the paused preexisting ad group and adjust the group to match the optimized ad, landing page, and target position for each individual keyword. If the optimization technique I just outlined sounds like a lot of work, it is. If you?re willing, however, to put forth the effort, the results will astonish you, and more importantly, your boss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Nine Steps to Optimize Google Adwords
Page 1 of 1